Wednesday, April 25, 2012
Stripey Shirt Refashion
Here's another spring shirt refashion- from a shirt I wore once or twice circa 2004, and found recently in the camping supplies bin (?!).
Above is the original shirt: nothing special... thin stretchy knit material, semi-mismatched stripes (nothing I can do there), way too long sleeves, torso too short.
First step: Cutting! I cut the sleeves shorter (in retrospect, I wish I'd made them cap sleeves- maybe if I get super motivated I 'll do that eventually). The white binding around the neckline got chopped too.
I just happened to have some maroon-ish knit fabric lying around which worked perfectly for me to bind the neckline and sleeves, and create a gathered button- flower (man, I love those).
At this point, I figured I was done, but when I tried it on, I really felt like it was too short to be at all flattering. So, after stewing a bit, I grabbed the sleeves I had just cut off, evened them out so there was no taper, and I sewed them to the bottom of the shirt (after first sewing their ends together to make a circular band).
Kind of funky, but I think I like it.
All this took maybe an hour max. My point is that with most refashions, there is really nothing to lose! I wasn't wearing this shirt and would probably have thrown it out, and everything I used to embellish it was free- just scraps of this and that. It only cost me an hour of my time, and that's not bad- you can do it!
- ▼ April 2012 (8)
- ► 2011 (41)
- ► 2010 (78)
- ► 2009 (29)