Thursday, August 15, 2013

Getting rid of mold/mildew on your shower curtain liner...Cool trick?

 Do you ever get a yucky pink moldy/mildewy buildup on your shower curtain?  (You don't have to answer that)  If this sounds familiar, I have a solution for you!

(I thought about putting putting a picture here of a nasty pink-mold-covered shower curtain...but that's a little gross...I'm sure you can imagine it just fine)

I encountered this very problem myself just last week. As we were unpacking some of our boxes, I pulled out our old shower curtain liner (it was nice enough quality to think twice about throwing it away when we were packing up our apartment) and to my dismay, the liner was not magically clean again after months of being packed up.  I refused to scrub the curtain by hand because...gross! So as a last resort before giving up and just throwing it away, I came up with a solution.

This may not be a revolutionary idea to some, but for me, I was totally thinkin' outside the box!  Here's what you do:

1. Throw your curtain into your washing machine, preferably with some white towels (to get some scrubbing action)
2. Put in a little bit of laundry soap
3. Put in 1/2 cup to 1 cup of bleach
4. Start your washer and just run it like a regular load of laundry

My shower curtain liner came out almost like new, and with ZERO signs of any mold/mildew that had been on it.

Here's my proof:




Enjoy your clean, good-as-new shower curtain liner! :)

4 comments:

  1. I will have to try this. Living in oregon this is a constant battle, even when I remember to wash our curtain every week! (which hasn't happened for a while). I just need to figure out where to pour in the bleach in our machine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to buy the plastic liners, until I got tired of always having to buy new ones after throwing the old ones away. Now I just use a cloth one that I wash in the washing machine too. No touching of pink moldy slime!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please keep on posting such quality articles as this is a rare thing to find these days. I am always searching online for articles that can help me. Looking forward to another great blog. Good luck to the author! all the best!
    Sell House Quick San Antonio

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you’re in doubt of any unpleasant growth in your house, you should simply assume there is a problem whenever you see mold or smell mold odors. Testing should never take the place of visual inspection (which is recommended) and it should never use up resources that are needed to correct moisture problems and remove visible growth.
    People used to think that molds were harmless but it isn’t. The fact is, some molds produce a toxin called aflatoxin (toxic and among the most carcinogenic substances known) that causes illness and death in people.
    Sometimes, mold growth is hidden and difficult or hard to locate and find. In such cases, carefully conducted sampling and visual inspection may help determine the location of contamination. However, mold testing is rarely useful for trying to answer questions or inquiries about health concerns. For more information, see mold testing services

    ReplyDelete

We would love to hear your comments and/ or questions! We read and appreciate every one. We do our best to reply by email, but if your email is not listed in your profile, we will reply to your question back here in the comments, so check back if you have a question!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Archive