Made these today and they turned out deliciously! After a few requests for the recipe, I’m posting it here!
- 4 bell peppers (any color)
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1/2 cup quinoa (I used the red kind, but any kind will work!)
- 1 cup water
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 1 can stewed diced tomatoes, drained
- 1/2 cup sliced olives
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- handful of fresh cilantro
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cheese for garnish (I used goat cheese, but you can use any kind!)
- First, get the quinoa cooking. Combine the quinoa and water in a small pot and turn on to medium heat until it boils, then simmer until all the water is soaked up.
- While the quinoa is cooking, brown the ground turkey. I like to rinse it in very hot water after I cook it to get rid of the remaining fat, but this step is optional, especially if you’re using lean ground turkey.
- While the turkey is cooking, begin on the rest of the filling. Combine the black beans, stewed tomatoes, olives, cumin, garlic, onion powder, salt and pepper in a separate bowl. Chop the cilantro and add that in too.
- Next, cut the peppers in half lengthwise and remove the seeds. (You can also just cut the tops off if you want a bigger cup to fill!) save a small piece of one pepper to chop and add into the filling mix.
- Once quinoa and turkey are cooked, combine them in the bowl with the rest of the filling mix.
- Next, line a baking sheet with foil and lay the pepper halves out. Spoon the mixture into the pepper halves and sprinkle the tops with cheese.
- Bake at 350* for 30-40 minutes